Pages


Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fear of Failure

As Homer Simpson once said, "Trying is the first step towards failure".

It's an amusing quote, but the pessimistic attitude it conveys sums up my own discomfort in many ways. For me, it's exactly that fear of not living up to my own expectations which prevents me from risking my self-belief by attempting to repeat with a paintbrush what I've already proven is entirely possible. Yes, I know, it's illogical!

As a form of self-administered therapy, I've scoured the "spare" room over the last few days and have unearthed some photographs of paintings and drawings from a previous life, a few of which are shown here, and in my first post.

I know the artistic vision I now have has evolved since I completed them, but from a technical perspective, these images serve a useful purpose in reminding me of what I managed to achieve all those years ago. When self-doubt intrudes, hopefully I can view them as some kind of affirmation, then doggedly grit my teeth and get stuck in!  If the rate at which new work appears here is painfully slow, please understand what I'm going through!







Best wishes
Pete

No comments: