Pages


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Egrets on the Brain

Maybe it's my uncertainty with oils, or perhaps it's been so long since I've painted in any medium that I've simply forgotten how much my thoughts throughout the day are dominated by the creative process.

Through the planning stages and on into the execution of this painting, I find myself mentally rehearsing my next move as the day progresses, even as I'm trapped in a city office block, up to my ears in computing work! Having endured my obligatory nine-to-five working day, I can finally apply paint to canvas, putting into practice the plan of attack I've formulated at work. When I've finished painting for the night, cleaned brushes and teeth and crawled into bed, I fall asleep conducting a post-mortem of the painting session, only to repeat the cycle when I wake the next morning. On that basis, I'm inclined to think that the pursuit of art is a lifestyle rather than a pastime!

Cheers
Pete

2 comments:

Roger Brown Art said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one working full time and then having to paint when I get home in the evenings.But what you say is true, when a canvas is in progress on the easel ,you cant help but think about it during the day.

Peter Brown said...

Fortunately, my employer still pays me even though I spend the day thinking about my painting - hope they don't find out!