Pages


Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Now, Where Was I?

After an absence of six weeks, Sandi and I have returned home with a myriad of wonderful memories and, for me, a wealth of photographs to sift through in the never ending search for worthwhile painting subjects.

Striated Heron

Sitting down to lunch one lazy afternoon before we headed home, I thought about the potential drawing and painting ideas my long break has yielded and was able to list over 30 without really trying. I'm sure some of those ideas will be rejected but, without a doubt, one of the greatest hurdles I've faced in the past has been overcome: that of having enough sufficiently interesting subjects to sustain my artistic efforts over a long period.

I certainly didn't achieve all of my objectives where the gathering of reference photographs was concerned, but I'm satisfied enough; it's gradually dawned on me over recent months while reading other web sites and blogs that a successful work of art might be created from many references, perhaps drawing from several photographs of the bird or animal as well as those from which the setting is created. It's a remarkable photograph which reveals all the required detail too, and I'm more comfortable now making use of images on the internet, if only in a limited sense to fill in the gaps in information present in my own photographs.

Well, with the car unpacked and with gear cleaned and stowed away for next time, I can at last look forward to catching up with the progress of my fellow bloggers and to eventually posting some images of my own new work. It's good to be back!

Cheers
Pete

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pix of that bird, hope you have lots of good painting ideas with your photos.

Grahame Butler said...

Good to have you back Peter, look forward to seeing some new work on the drawing board.

April Jarocka said...

Enjoy your new artworks!