Pages


Monday, August 3, 2020

Studio/Workshop Progress Report - Ceilings and Sills

The weeks slide past in a blur, and it seems I'm only able to fully appreciate the progress I'm making when I take the time to record the current state of the project and compare new photos to those included in my previous post.


I'm pretty happy with the tongue-and-groove pine ceilings and less inclined to paint them white as I'd initially planned; I can always choose to do so later after I've lived with them for a while. If nothing else, I'll protect them with a couple of coats of water-based polyurethane which shouldn't darken them appreciably. 


The high spots on the rendered walls have been rasped back which accounts for the mottled appearance; they'll have a consistent lighter colour once the third and final coat of render is applied, and the option remains to add some white oxide to the render mix at that time to lighten them even further.


Fabricating the timber window sills and corner window seat was tedious and time-consuming, but the end result is very pleasing. I used a timber species marketed commercially as Tasmanian oak, which is actually sourced from several eucalyptus species.







Cheers
Pete

No comments: