Pages


Wednesday, December 11, 2013

More Lion Progress

There's a lot of work left to do, but I'm a little happier now that the lion has been partially incorporated into his surroundings. Overall, the colour of the lion is still a little cool, but I'm warming things up as I revisit and refine each area.


I'm confident now that the lion itself will be a success, but it's the vegetation around him that's posing the main challenge for me. I've roughly scrubbed in some colour and texture below the lion, but the shrubs and grasses I've begun to add detail to are giving me cause for concern. I realise that with very rare exceptions I have not painted vegetation for many years, and I think the lack of practice shows. Give me rocks and water any time!

I have some spare masonite on hand, and I plan to step back from this painting and put in some practice before I return to it next week.

Cheers
Pete

7 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

You're very wise to scribble away on a spare piece...I am just not that patient but perhaps I should do it for practice. I rather paint the details of the fur!

Peter Brown said...

You're far too modest Colette - you don't need practice!

paintings said...

nice painting! and good for the lion!

Peter Brown said...

Thanks, and thanks for visiting!

Ileana said...

Wonderful work and I love how he's popping out. The light vegetation makes this possible so I wouldn't concern myself too much with that. It's the lion that draws you in. Love the shadows with the lights on top and face.

Peter Brown said...

Ileana, I missed your comment until now, for which I apologise. Thanks for visiting, and for your words of encouragement.

Candace X. Moore said...

Hope you're still making art, Peter. This piece is beautiful. Did you finish it? I angst over backgrounds so understand your hesitancy on the vegetation, but agree with Ileana that it is working perfectly now. The scrubby-er, the better. Makes that lion pop. Really nice work. Hope there is more to come.